BLACKENED FISH TACOS WITH AVOCADO SAUCE
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Serves 6 small tacos
FOR THE BLACKENED FISH TACOS
400 grams (14 ounces) white fish fillets
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 small corn tortillas3 TB olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SLAW
1/4 red cabbage thinly sliced
1/4 green cabbage thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
15 grams (1/4 cup) chopped cilantro
the juice of 1 lime
FOR THE AVOCADO SAUCE:
70 grams (1/4 cup) Greek yogurt I used 0% fat Greek yogurt
1/2 ripe avocado pitted and skinned
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
the juice of 1/2 lime
1 tablespoon water
salt to taste
These blackened fish tacos come together in under 30 minutes and make a delicious weeknight meal. Spiced white fish is folded into warm tortillas, topped with shredded red cabbage and drizzled with a creamy avocado sauce.
You can make fish tacos with any firm white fish you prefer: tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, snapper, etc. I used Tilapia, it’s inexpensive, easy to cook and light in flavor.
To blackened the fish, rub it with spices and then sear it briefly at high heat until the outside just starts to blacken. The fish will be slightly crispy on the outside, moist, tender and flaky on the inside.
After seasoning the fish, let it sit for a while and prepare the rest of the ingredients before you start cooking it, because it cooks fast. It took only 4-5 minutes per side to cook my fish.
PREPARE THE BLACKENING SPICE MIX
1. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and sugar.
SEASON THE FISH FILLET
1. Pat the tilapia fillets dry on both sides with paper towels and liberally sprinkle on the blackening spice mix. Flip the fillets over and repeat so both sides are well coated.
PREPARE THE AVOCADO SAUCE
1. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until your desired consistency is reached. Add a little more water if needed.
MAKE THE CABBAGE SLAW
1. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.
COOK THE FISH
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.Transfer to a serving dish.
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
1. Start with 1 tortilla, layer the cabbage slaw first, then about 1/2 of a tilapia filet, some more slaw, cilantro, and drizzle with avocado sauce. Serve with a lemon wedge and your favorite beer!
1. Feel free to add whatever toppings you’d like. I kept the toppings pretty simple. The avocado sauce is nothing more than mixing avocado with lime juice, Greek yogurt and cilantro.